Sunday, November 30, 2008

Thanksgiving in San Antonio

Charlie and I were so blessed to be able to make the trip to San Antonio, TX this week for Thanksgiving. A year and a half ago or so My Mom's Dad, Pop, and his wife, Doris, Moved to the Air Force Village for retired military officers. This is within just a few miles of Lackland Air Force Base. This Air Force Base is the Basic Military Training Site for all enlisted members of the Air Force. We were excited and privileged to tour the base with Pop and Doris. Pop was at this same base many years ago as an active part of the Air Force around the time of WWII.
We always know that trips to visit Pop mean hearing many stories of his time serving the country. I think it is safe to say he has a story from his military days to go with any conversation or passing comment I may have. I enjoy hearing my favorite stories that I have heard for many years while visiting over holidays and vacations. I am trying to pull out new stories as I hear the ones I have heard before. One of my favorite from this trip came from asking a question about the order of rankings of officers in the Air Force. As he began to tell of the rankings from bottom to top he told me the stories of how he received each promotion from one officer level to the next. He retired as a Lieutenant Colonel with his promotion to Colonel on the table when he retired. It makes me so proud to hear his stories and accomplishments in the military and serving our country.

The first day in San Antonio Pop took us to a wonderful lunch at the Tower of the Americas in downtown San Antonio. We had such a wonderful time eating at the Chart House. This has the same idea as the SunDial in Atlanta. The eating area spins 360 Degrees to see the whole city from above.

This is Pop and I in front of the building before lunch. He looks so good for 88!




Here I am with Doris (self-portrait)




View from the bottom... I'm a little afraid of heights... not exactly looking forward to the ride up




Charlie and I before going to the top...




Pop was nice enough to stand RIGHT in front of me so I wouldn't look down as we went up the long elevator ride to the top. Don't you love his look here?!




Charlie and Doris during dinner




Once back on the ground Doris waited on a bench as Charlie and I walked through the fountains... Can you see Doris?




Charlie thought it was really funny to kick water on me... So cute playing in the water!




Charlie and me! I Love this picture!




This concludes Day One! more to come....

1 comment:

Lauren said...

this pictures are fantastic!!! you look absolutely adorable in those glasses and it makes me miss you and charlie and remember our wonderful trip to texas and to visit you guys!!!!
love you!!! i cannot wait to hear more stories from your trip!!!